Guest Post From Becky Kate Editor for

FAQ’s from a DUI Directory Staff Member

I work for 1 800 DUI Laws which is a national directory of DUI lawyers that includes Justin McShane as one of its esteemed members. Everyday we have people come to us who need help with their DUI cases and I come across common concerns. I thought I’d take this opportunity to share some frequently asked questions and answers with you.

What will happen to my auto insurance coverage?
DUI Car Insurance BillWe receive a lot of submissions from people who have already been convicted of a DUI who have had their auto insurance companies drop them or dramatically increase their rates. I know that the PA DUI Blog even featured a story about how a PA DUI conviction can increase your insurance rates. I usually recommend a site such as There are other insurance agents who can also assist people who have been arrested for a DUI. However, if you have yet to be convicted you should make a smart decision and hire an experienced Pennsylvania DUI attorney, such as Justin McShane, to fight your charges.

I was out of state when I was arrested. What should I do?
Unfortunately, if you have been arrested for a DUI out of your state of residence, you must appear in the court in the state in which where you were arrested. This means you must find an attorney who practices in the specific state where you were arrested. If you were arrested for a DUI outside of PA, I would recommend submitting via a form on 1 800 DUI laws. You will instantly be connected with an attorney who will likely contact you within 24 hours.

My BAC was above .160. Am I going to be in even more trouble?
In short, yes if you are convicted. In many states, including PA, your jail time, your fines, programming and license suspension could be doubled or even more because of this higher BAC. This is all the more reason to hire experienced PA DUI attorney Justin McShane to fight your charges.

How do I apply for a hardship license?
If your driver’s license is suspended because you were convicted or were found guilty of a Pennsylvania DUI in almost all circumstances you cannot drive AT ALL. Unlike other states, Pennsylvania does not have a “bread and butter” license, or a probationary license or a hardship license. If there is a conviction, there is absolutely no driving at all. An Occupational Limited License (OLL) is only available to first time ever convicted DUI drivers but only after they have served a hard 60-day loss of license. So, the best way to not lose your license is to not lose your DUI case.

You need to contact PennDot before your suspension starts. When you contact PennDot, you will apply for an OLL or an Occupational Limited License. This license will allow you to drive to work as long as you install an ignition interlock device.

I hope you have had some questions answered. I can tell you from my experience that the smartest decision you can make after a PA DUI arrest is to hire a PA DUI attorney. Justin McShane is known nationally for his experience as a DUI attorney and his experience will greatly benefit you in the courtroom.

About Becky Kate:

Becky Kate is the social media manager at Legal Brand Marketing. She helps with content and site maintenance for 1 800 DUI Laws. She is also 1 800 DUI Laws’ blogger. You can check out her blog at

Justin McShane

PA DUI attorney Justin J. McShane is the President/CEO of The McShane Firm, LLC - Pennsylvania's top criminal law and DUI law firm. He is the highest rated DUI attorney in PA as rated by Justin McShane is a double Board certified attorney. He is the first and so far the only Pennsylvania attorney to achieve American Bar Association recognized board certification in DUI defense from the National College for DUI Defense, Inc. He is also a Board Certified Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy, a Pennsylvania Supreme Court Approved Agency.

4 responses to “Guest Post From Becky Kate Editor for”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *