Many people don’t realize how serious the penalties are for even a first time DUI in Pennsylvania. A first time offender with past criminal history (even if it is not DUI related) can still face jail time, fines and a lengthy license suspension. Additionally, there are many other costly penalties outside of the legal penalties in court.
Penalties for a Pennsylvania DUI First Offense
The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania uses a multi-tiered penalty structure for DUI offenses.
|General Impairment||B.A.C.=.08 to 0.099%,
Incapable of safe driving,
No injury or property damage,
Refusal to take a chemical test
|Up to 6 months probation||None||$300|
|High Rate||B.A.C.=.10 to 0.159%,
Minor B.A.C.= .02 to .159%,
General Impairment BAC with an accident,
School Bus Driver B.A.C.=.02 to .159%,
Commercial Vehicle driver B.A.C.=.04% to .159%
|2 days-6 months||12 months||$500-$5,000|
|Highest Rate||B.A.C.=.16% or greater,
Controlled substance DUI
|3 days-6 months||12 months||$1,000-$5,000|
Additionally, there are other costs as well as court ordered DUI school and treatment if necessary.
Penalties Beyond the Legal Penalties for a DUI
There are many other consequences you may face if convicted of a Pennsylvania DUI, including:
- Increased car insurance premiums
- Not being able to rent a car
- DUI offenses are now taken into consideration when determining child custody in Pennsylvania
- Possible disciplinary action for pilots, members of the armed forces, teachers, doctors
- Commercial drivers will face a one-year ban on their CDL license even if the offense occurred in their private vehicle (see Pennsylvania CDL Driver DUI Information)
- The DUI conviction will show up on background checks possibly influencing future employers to overlook you as a candidate
- Remember a DUI will remain on your permanent record for the REST OF YOUR LIFE
As you can see, the penalties for even a first DUI offense are severe and far-reaching. This is not a charge you can afford to take lightly. If you want to protect your rights call 1-866-MCSHANE to schedule a free consultation with our Pennsylvania DUI Attorneys.